Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Latest Video Terror Threat

Osama bin Laden's top deputy, Ayman Al-Zawahri, has appeared on a new video apparently made prior to our presidential elections. Something on the tape makes me wonder about a different strategy in dealing with these guys. Here's what he said:

"You have to choose between one of two methods to deal with Muslims: either on mutual respect and exchange of interests, or to deal with them as if they are spoils of war. This is your problem and you have to choose yourself. You have to realize that we are a nation of patience and endurance. We will stand firm to fight you with God's help until doomsday."

I think that between Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo, Fallujah (and I feel that there is going to be a scandal coming out of Fallujah concerning the treatment and non-treatment of civilians) the Muslim population around the world is leaning toward his thinking. I think we should be concerned about that but I don't think we are. These guys don't hate us for our freedom. That's just too simple an answer. When Al-Zawahri said to either deal with them with respect and exchange of interests or if they are spoils of war, I almost see an open door for some diplomatic communication to end all this hate. Let's face it this 'war on terror' is going to accomplish about as much as the 'war on drugs'. I think that this may be an opportunity to get up on that table and look at this situation from a different angle. I think we need to abandon the arrogant 'my way or the highway' attitude and work toward peace with peace. Just a thought.

No comments: